Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had sex for a week

I have had sex for a week

Patient: Hello dear Doctor :It has been for a week that I have started my first sex with my fiance,before then I had no sex and I have been readying lots of articles for having protected sex.our problem is that both of us are afraid Of getting peregnant even if we are protecting thats why when we want to start we cant focus and it fails. Base on my medical history I cant use birth control pills because of having allergy. my question is that what are the saftiest ways of protected sex rather than using pills.Are those ways safe and 100% garantti that I wont get peregnant Witout using pills ? Thank you So much .

Doctor: Hi.Thank you for writing to ATD.Pregnancy is caused as a result of sexual intercourse only if it occurs within one ‘s so-called “fertile period”. The fertile period of a woman is determined by analyzing her menstrual cycle with an ovulation calculator or fertility chart. Normally, the menstrual cycle is a 28-day cycle. During the 14th day after a period, the ovum is released. This process is called ovulation and the days 12 to 16 days after a period are said to be a woman’s most fertile period.There are many ways to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Avoiding intercourse in the fertile period is a method practiced by many. Apart from this there are barrier methods like male and female condoms, spermicidal jellies and sponges for women and intrauterine contraceptive devices that are also popular. Implants, injections, and hormonal rings are also available. No methods provide 100% protection except not having intercourse! Each have their own failure rates, that are low but acceptable.Please consult a Gynecologist or a family planning counselor for specific advise to suit your needs and preferences.Hope this helps.