I have had stomach cramping in lower abdomen, fullness, back

Patient

Q: I have had stomach cramping in lower abdomen, fullness, back pain, gas and nausea after eating for 1 1/2 weeks. Went to ER 5 days ago and they did ultrasound of gall bladder and CT scan. Gall bladder has sludge but not causing pain. There was nothing in abdomen but a increased amount of stool for my age. I'm 32. I was told if got worse come back. Well it hasn't gotten worse but is still the same. After I eat my stomach gets worse and I get nausea. I'm wondering where to go from here. I've never had digestive issues before.

Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor. I understand your concern.

It seems you are suffering from Acid Peptic Disease or Acid reflux. Pancreatitis should always be considered in case of pain abdomen, but since your doctor's have ruled it out, so chances are very less. We usually perform Ultrasound Abdomen and Serum Amylase and Lipase to diagnose pancreatitis. If they are normal, the Pancreatitis is virtually ruled out. In that case, we treat our patients for Acid reflux and most of them respond to treatment. For acid reflux, I advise my patients to take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone.You should also take soft, bland diet. In case you have persisting acidity, loose stools, weight loss then you would require evaluation for Malabsorption syndrome like Celiac disease. Upper GI endoscopy would be required if your symptoms don't respond to this treatment. I would also advise in such scenario to get tested for h.pylori infection and to get it treated.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy