August 20, 2018

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had thoughs of killing my self coz me

I have had thoughs of killing my self coz me

Patient: I have had thoughs of killing my self coz me and my girlfriend has split up after a 2 year relationship

Symptoms: Thoughts of killing my self

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.If stress and other problems caused by a traumatic event affect yo ur life, see your health care professional,seek help, follow his advice and treatment accordingly.Also try the following :-Take care of yourself. Get enough rest, eat a healthy diet, exercise and take time to relax. Avoid caffeine and nicotine, which can worsen anxiety.Don’t self-medicate. Turning to alcohol or drugs to numb your feelings isn’t healthy, even though it may be a tempting way to cope. It can lead to more problems down the road and prevent real healing.Break the cycle. When you feel anxious, take a brisk walk or jump into a hobby to re-focus.Talk to someone. Stay connected with supportive and caring people — family, friends, faith leaders or others. You don’t have to talk about what happened if you don’t want to. Just sharing time with loved ones can offer healing and comfort.Consider a support group. Ask your health professional for help finding a support group, or contact veterans’ organizations or your community’s social services system, or look for local support groups in an online directory or in your phone book.Hope this helps. Take care.