I have had tonsil stones on and off for the

Patient

Q: I have had tonsil stones on and off for the past year. They hurt really bad and cause me a very horrible sore throat. They also get pretty big. I just want them to be removed so i dont have to suffer with this pain any longer. Is there any other way to permanently get rid of them? Or do i have to have a tonsillectomy?

Symptoms:  Very sore throat, swollen reddened tonsils, tonsil stones
I have had tonsil stones on...-1
Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query and an elucidate history and picture.

Liked the way your think. It is very true that if there are more than three attackes of tonsillitis per year, you should get the tonsils removed.
Since you have been suffering for such a long time my strategy would be:
First of all get the investigations done:
- Blood, urine and stool.
-Throat swab from the tonsillar crypts for gram staining, culture and sensitivity.
- X-ray of the nose, sinuses and the chest to rule out any primary focus of infection and get treated properly.
- Give you 3 week course of an antibiotic according to the culture and sensitivity report, antihistamine and anti-inflammatory medicines.
If you problem settled, no need of any surgery.

I hope this answer helps you to get alright