I have had tonsil stones on and off for the

Patient : I have had tonsil stones on and off for the past year. They hurt really bad and cause me a very horrible sore throat. They also get pretty big. I just want them to be removed so i dont have to suffer with this pain any longer. Is there any other way to permanently get rid of them? Or do i have to have a tonsillectomy?
Symptoms:  Very sore throat, swollen reddened tonsils, tonsil stones
I have had tonsil stones on...-1
Doctor :   Hi. Thanks for your query and an elucidate history and picture. Liked the way your think. It is very true that if t here are more than three attackes of tonsillitis per year, you should get the tonsils removed. Since you have been suffering for such a long time my strategy would be: First of all get the investigations done: - Blood, urine and stool. -Throat swab from the tonsillar crypts for gram staining, culture and sensitivity. - X-ray of the nose, sinuses and the chest to rule out any primary focus of infection and get treated properly. - Give you 3 week course of an antibiotic according to the culture and sensitivity report, antihistamine and anti-inflammatory medicines. If you problem settled, no need of any surgery. I hope this answer helps you to get alright