Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have had tonsil stones on and off for the

I have had tonsil stones on and off for the

Patient: I have had tonsil stones on and off for the past year. They hurt really bad and cause me a very horrible sore throat. They also get pretty big. I just want them to be removed so i dont have to suffer with this pain any longer. Is there any other way to permanently get rid of them? Or do i have to have a tonsillectomy?

Symptoms: Very sore throat, swollen reddened tonsils, tonsil stones

I have had tonsil stones on...-1

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query and an elucidate history and picture.Liked the way your think. It is very true that if t here are more than three attackes of tonsillitis per year, you should get the tonsils removed.Since you have been suffering for such a long time my strategy would be:First of all get the investigations done:- Blood, urine and stool.-Throat swab from the tonsillar crypts for gram staining, culture and sensitivity.- X-ray of the nose, sinuses and the chest to rule out any primary focus of infection and get treated properly.- Give you 3 week course of an antibiotic according to the culture and sensitivity report, antihistamine and anti-inflammatory medicines.If you problem settled, no need of any surgery.I hope this answer helps you to get alright