Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have have seen a small amount of blood in

I have have seen a small amount of blood in

Patient: I have have seen a small amount of blood in my stool a few times over the last month or two. I am only 23 should I be worried or is this normal?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.There should not be any blood in the stools, so it is definitely not normal.However minor bouts of gastroenteritis, or worm infestation can lead to such bleeding in the absence of any history of constipation or straining during stools.You should get your stool examined for ova/ parasites to rule out worm infestation.Normally a single dose of Tab. Albendazole 400 mg is prescribed for treating worm infections.If there has been a change in the stool consistency then, an antibiotic like Tab. Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily will be helpful in controlling the gastroenteritis. Talk to a Doctor to get these medications.If these measures do not help, then your Physician can request for a colonoscopy to localise the site of bleeding. At times, even gastritis can lead to such bleeding. So you can try a course of Cap. Omeprazole 20 mg once daily before breakfast for a week.Hope this was helpful.Regards.