Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have hip pain when I walk or stand why

I have hip pain when I walk or stand why

Patient: I have hip pain when I walk or stand why does it not hurt when I ride a bicycle

Symptoms: Right hip pain caused by accident 10 years ago

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.I think that you have an injury of the anti-gravity muscles. These are the muscles which allow you to stand up. You are not able to bear weight. But there is no pain in cycling because there is no weight bearing.You can try doing RICE to see if it helps you.Rest the hip and avoid doing activities that hurt.Ice the area for 15 mins every hour to help youCompress the are by using a crepe bandage if possibleElevate the hip to allow blood flow back to the heartIf you are not better in 3 days, please see a Doctor. All the best.Hope this helps you.