Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have HPV, Do I inform my Partner about the Infection?

I have HPV, Do I inform my Partner about the Infection?

Patient: I just recently found out i have type 52 HPV-high risk HPV; do i inform my ex-boyfriend who was my last sex-parnter.

Doctor: This is an excellent question and one which is very difficult to answer. Since HPV infection can go undetected in a pers on for many years, it is very difficult to tell who actually gave the infection to whom. Legally you may not be bound to tell about your HPV infection to your ex-boyfriend but if you think this information helps in his diagnosis and also prevents his partner from contracting the infection, certainly go ahead and inform him.The risk of developing genital cancer if infected with type 52 HPV is high so regular pap tests are necessary for early detection of cancer. It is advisable to use condoms because it decreases the chances of getting and transmitted HPV, remember that you are still in risk of HPV infection from the other 40 types of HPV infecting the genital organ.