I have irregular periods goes away for months at a

Patient

Q: I have irregular periods goes away for months at a time...am I in menopause? When it comes back it's usually 1-2 weeks long very red and heavy for the first 3-5 days..should I be concerned?

Doctor

Menopause usually happens after 40 years, if your age is beyond 40 and you are experiencing these symptoms, then you can consider the symptoms as premenopausal symptoms. Also, if you are less than 40 and experience these symptoms, we need to rule out causes like polycystic ovaries, endometriosis, ovarian tumors, stress, hormonal disturbances, thyroid and anemia. Even after 40 years, we need to rule out the above causes and additional causes like endometrial hyperplasia and fibroids, etc.
Consider consulting a gynecologist for an examination and tests like an ultrasound, pap smear, blood, urine and hormonal tests. The doctor will treat you accordingly depending on the cause. Avoid stress and drink plenty of water and have a healthy diet.

Hope this helped.