I have just received the results of my mri scan

Q: I have just received the results of my mri scan via my gp and after being told that I had several bulging / herniated discs at both the top and lower part of my spine (the lower being significally worse) I was told to just wait for my appointment to arrive from the consultant at my local hospital who sent me for the scan.
However after researching my condition I know that I have cauda equina syndrome as all the symptoms are exactly the same as mine, also that it is imperative to be operated on asap, so my question & massive concern is why am I waiting for my appointment to eventually arrive when I am sitting at home with severe pain from waking to sleeping 24/7?
Thank you very much for any advice you may give. Michelle