I have just started taking a 3 month birth control

Patient : I have just started taking a 3 month birth control pill, this is the first time I have ever taken the pill so I'm not quite sure what is normal. I'm in the middle of my 3rd week and I have made sure to take the pill every morning at 8, for the first few week or so I felt some nausea but that all went away, with the exception of a few rare occasions. My issue is that I have had bleeding and cramping for about two weeks now, I'm not sure if it is considered "spotting" since its definitely not spots, but it is certainly not like a normal menstrual cycle. I called the gyno and they seemed confident this was normal for someone just now beginning, but I can't help but worry. I will also note that the cramps come and go throughout the day and at time it feels like even ibuprofen and acetaminophen can help alleviate the pain as a few cramps will still come through even after an hour of taking medicine. So should I wait till august when my gyno wants me to return or should I Insist to seen a little earlier?
Symptoms:  What feels like menstrual cramps and "spotting"
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query. When you have recently been started on a birth control mid cycle spotting and pain i s expected. However since the pain is severe in your case and spotting is persisting, you will need to see a gynecologist soon. We need to rule out an ectopic pregnancy as birth control pills can have a failure rate of 0.5 percent. Hence it is recommended that you consult a gynecologist immediately. Hope this helped. Regards