I have mild arthrits in both knees Lately

Q: I have mild arthrits in both knees. Lately the left one swells just below the knee & is quite painful when I kay down.

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
We are here to help you.

Knee Osteoarthritis is wear and tear of the joints because of Excessive weight on weight-bearing joints.
This mostly occurs with advancing age, but these days it’s not uncommon to find it in young obese individuals.
I would advise you to get following investigations done:
1. Hemogram
2. X-ray Knee Joint
3. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D levels.
For osteoarthritis, I would advise following:
1. To do knee and quadriceps strengthening exercises.
2. To do hot fomentation of the knee
3. Apply diclofenac ointment locally
4. To take Pain killers like Diclofenac only if the pain is severe and there are no contraindications for their use.
5. Don’t climb stairs, avoid bucket holding.
6. Don’t sit in squatting position.
You should also start working for weight loss. You should start exercising. Just avoid using treadmill. Cycling and swimming are wonderful options for you for weight reduction without damaging and stressing these joints. No medicines are found to be very effective in helping to build the cartilage back. However, Chondroitin sulphate and Glucosamine can be used. However, have not shown any benefit in trials.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.