Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have not been able to go to the bathroom

I have not been able to go to the bathroom

Patient: I have not been able to go to the bathroom in 5 days I have tried laxatives and prune juice and still can’t go and my stomach hurts and I feel sick to my stomach is there any thing else I can do

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.As you tried home remedies and regular laxatives, now bette r to consult your doctor and get examined to find out the possible cause for severe constipation.Sometimes rectal or surrounding pelvic masses can obstruct the passage of motion and can lead to constipation.If no structural abnormality found out, enema can help in passing motion.Taking plenty of oral fluids, fiber rich diet can help in relieving the constipation to some extent.Take care.