I have noticed a change in my bowel habits

Patient : I have noticed a change in my bowel habits over the last month. I've been extremely constipated & at times unable to even have a bm; black stool on several occasions; I think I now have hemorrhoids; and the past 2 bm have produced thin stool. I had to have a colon resection 4 years ago because my colon was twisted. Should I wait this out to see if everything becomes normal again or should seek medical treatment?
Doctor :   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. I understand your concern. It seems you are suffering from Acid Peptic Disease as sociated with Irritable Bowel syndrome. I would advise you to get your Thyroid Profile and Fasting Blood Sugar checked. Since you have history of colon resection, it is advisable to see your doctor again, to rule out any inflammatory bowel disease, or Hemorrhoids. I would advise following in such scenario: 1. To take a combination of Pantoprazole and Domperidone. 2. To take soft, bland diet. 3. To take anti flatulent and anti-acidity syrup like Digene. 4. To take Smooth Muscle Relaxant like Mebeverine for stomach pain. 5. Drugs like chlordiazepoxide and clidinium bromide are used in refractory cases. However, this is also important to rule out Inflammatory bowel disease in such cases. So, get examined by your doctor. If he feels, he will get your colonoscopy done. Share my opinion with your doctor. I hope this helps. Stay Healthy