Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have pain shooting from my elbow into my neck

I have pain shooting from my elbow into my neck

Patient: I have pain shooting from my elbow into my neck. Also when I take a step with my left foot I feel it extend down into my fingertips. Please tell me what this is. And if there is need for e.r.

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.Pain in the left arm can be due to many causes, ranging from a pul led muscle to a massive heart attack. While it is not always possible to determine whether left arm pain is due to an insignificant cause or something potentially serious, several features can help distinguish the difference.Left arm pain that gets worse with activity and improves with rest should prompt immediate medical attention, as this may be a sign of heart disease especially if the pain is deep and the arm is not tender to the touch. Left arm pain that appears suddenly while at rest, such as when watching television, could also be due to an unstable heart condition. Finally, if the arm pain is accompanied by any combination of chest pain, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, passing out, shortness of breath, unusual sweating, abdominal bloating, cough or wheezing, seek medical attention immediately.Another reason may be nerve compression. Pressure may cause the nerves of the left arm and neck to become inflamed,the most important thing you can do for your neck and arm pain is to rest. Rest helps to calm the body and allows time for it to heal. The doctor may not allow you to work or perform any activities that will involve lifting or becoming stressed,Take your medicines. While you rest, you will need to take the pain medication and muscle relaxants your doctor has prescribed for you. Keep them at the bedside along with water so you have them available to take. Taking your medications on a regular basis as prescribed will help you to feel better and to have less pain.Hope this helps. Take care.