I have patellofemoral in one leg maybe both,what do I do?

Patient: I have patellofemoral syndrome in my left knee, and my doctor gave me exercises to do. At first they worked, but now my knee is getting much worse. It sometimes just gives out, and pain reaches down the inside of my leg, coming in short bursts of pain. Now my right knee is feeling similar pains, but it is not diagnosed. Should I go see a doctor for both knees? It is a constant struggle with my left knee, I couldn’t handle it well with my right knee as well. My doctor said in the early summer that it wasn’t a very extreme case, but it’s gotten much worse, and the pain is more severe than when I first went to my doctor with this problem.

Symptoms: Pain in knee, trouble going up and down stairs, cracking joints in knee, soreness, trouble extending leg

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask the Doctor” for posting your query.The exercises that your doctor had given to you were basically strengthening your quadriceps. Though most of the patients get better with the exercises but if you are not benefiting now then you probably have to go ahead with the option of surgery. In surgery the positioning of patella is changed so that the friction and resultant pain reduces. Meanwhile you can control your pain with the help of painkillers like crocin or diclofenac etc.Do discuss these issues with your treating doctor.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you in future.Wish you good health!