I have quit smoking for about a month now

Patient

Q: I have quit smoking for about a month now and was wondering when will i start coughing up that nasty phlegm

Doctor

A:   Hello
Welcome to Ask The Doctor

I am glad to know and would like to congratulate you on quitting smoking. You are now moving towards a healthy life. You seem to be having Allergic cough also known as Smoker's cough. It mostly occurs in the morning. The damage already done to your lungs by smoking will take time to heal. However, you should get a Chest Xray done, to see for the extent of damage. If the cough is troubling you a lot, then your doctor would treat you with a combination of Levocetirizine and Montelukast. Also, her will examine your chest for any wheezes/spasm. If found, your doctor would prescribe you inhalers. Start doing steam inhalation and warm saline gargles, they will help you in the long term. I hope you will stick to your decision of quitting and won't relapse.

I wish you a healthy smoke-free life.
Stay Healthy