I have recently had Maxillofacial surgery It is now two

Patient

Q: I have recently had Maxillofacial surgery. It is now two weeks post op and I have noticed a lot of thick dead skin on the inside of my upper lip, it's painful to touch because of the pain I can't close my mouth properly and it's also stopping the swelling on my top lip from going down. Could I have some advice on what to do and is this type of thing common?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

It would have helped if you had added a picture to the question. I think that you have a keloid or a hypertrophic scar because of the surgery. My advice is that you see the surgeon asap to get the appropriate treatment. The Doctor may start you on steroid therapy to help with the recovery.

Hope this helps you.

All the best.