Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have recently noticed a darkish lump around my anal entry

I have recently noticed a darkish lump around my anal entry

Patient: I have recently noticed a darkish lump around my anal entry, what is it? Should I be concerned?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.From your description, these are the following possibilities:1) perianal abscess2) post anal dermoid3) external haemorrhoids4)fistula in anoYou need to visit a general surgeon as soon as possible to confirm the diagnosis as a fistula or perianal abscess can be extremely painful, and the sooner the treatment initiated, the better. A proctoscopy and per rectal examination is required to confirm the diagnosis.Hope this was helpful,Regards