I have recently noticed a darkish lump around my anal entry

Patient : I have recently noticed a darkish lump around my anal entry, what is it? Should I be concerned?
Doctor :   Hello, Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com I understand your concern. From your description, these are the following possibilities: 1) perianal abscess 2) post anal dermoid 3) external haemorrhoids 4)fistula in ano You need to visit a general surgeon as soon as possible to confirm the diagnosis as a fistula or perianal abscess can be extremely painful, and the sooner the treatment initiated, the better. A proctoscopy and per rectal examination is required to confirm the diagnosis. Hope this was helpful, Regards