Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have sharp pains in my right rib cage when

I have sharp pains in my right rib cage when

Patient: I have sharp pains in my right rib cage when I sneeze or cough or breath deeply. The rib area is also sore to the touch. This has been happening for about 5 days now. It seems better during the day and is worse at night and as soon as I wake up.

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query.Read and understood your history of sharp pains in right rib cage on sneezing, coughing or breathing deeply. The rib area is sore to the touch, happening for about 5 days now. It seems better during the day and is worse at night and as soon as you wake up.These are indicative of either the severe sprain of the muscles that cover the ribs or a rib fracture as every movement is causing you the pain.Just check for local pain increase on pressure.I would advise you to consult a Physician for clinical evaluation, actual examination of the chest, auscultation, palpation and getting X-ray of the chest with a marker.Simple strapping over the area with a Leucoplast will help you get a relief. IF required an anti-inflammatory with pain-killer property will help you to get alright.