Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have slight brownish, bloody discharge from one nipple

I have slight brownish, bloody discharge from one nipple

Patient: I have slight brownish, bloody discharge from one nipple. I am 64 years old. Is the chance of malignancy high?

Symptoms: Bloody discharge from one nipple.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Abnormal discharge that could be brownish or blood stained can be a malignancy underlyi ng in the breast.Do not hesitate to consult a surgeon for an examination. You will need to undetgo a few blood tests and routine investigations. If any lump is palpable, it will need an FNAC or an ultrasound and CT scan if required.The other causes could be a hormonal change in prolactin which can produce abnormal discharge. An infection of the breast tissue must also be ruled out.Do not worry, just go ahead with the evaluation.Feel free to write back for further clarifications.Hope this helped.Regards

Patient: Is a ductal papilloma a possibility?

Doctor: Hello,
Thanks for the reply.
Yes, it could be a possibility. However, the definitive diagnosis can only be made if a histology and other relevant investigations can be done.
Hope this helped.