I have smoked menthol cigs for 30 years

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have smoked menthol cigs for 30 years

Patient: I have smoked menthol cigs for 30 years. They are testing us this yr for medical insurance. How long must I be completely off cigs to test negative from test

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for writing to us.I have read your case and can understand your situation.Nicotine takes about 11 to 24 hours to get cleared from body once smoking is stopped while its metabolite cotinine takes about 2.4 to 6.5 days to get cleared from body.Taking menthol cigarettes may cause nicotine clearance from system more delayed.In about 7 to 10 days with proper intake of water and fluids it is more likely to get negative nicotine test if urine , blood and saliva samples are checked.However few tests use hair follicles to detect nicotine for which it is essential to be off cigarettes for about 2 to 3 months.Hope this helpsFeel free to write back

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No