I have so many friends but I feel so lonely and depressed?

Q: I'm 17 years old and I have so many friends, I spend time with them on a regular basis, they are there for me, and they do everything to help me when ever I need help. I spend lots of time with them, I love them all and I tell them anything and everything because I feel so comfortable around them.

Yet, I feel so lonely and depressed. I've told them this, and many of them assure me that they're there for me and I can go to them if I ever need anything, but no one seems to know the cause. Everyone would be having fun and laughing, and I would be there completely dead inside and all I do is put on a smile and a normal face and pretend like nothing is going on.

I have liked this girl for about a year now, but I'm not the brave type that would approach her and tell her. We've been friends for a year now, and we get along so well and we spend so much time together. A friend of her's told me that me and her are really close, and she knows for a fact that she does like me, but I was too stupid and I did nothing about it. Now, more recently, I finally managed to get the courage to tell her how I really feel, but all she said was "I'm sorry, I only see you as a friend". Her friend says that she probably got over me since she thought that I didn't like her. So we're still friends now and when ever I talk to her, I act like I've always acted, but like when I'm around anyone, I just feel so depressed, lonely and gloomy. And yea, this whole thing pretty much started when I got turned down by her.

This was my first time I've ever told a girl how I feel. She was actually the first girl I've liked enough to actually tell her how I feel. I have told a number of friends about what happened between me and her, and they have pretty much all given me the same advice, but nothing seems to help me and my loneliness

I don't know what's wrong with me. Even at home, when I'm trying to study and stuff, I always seem so down. When ever I'm doing something fun with friends, I'm enjoying myself and if for some reason I remember what happeend between me and her, I instantly become crushed and I just feel like crap. Some advice would be really helpful

Thank you