I have stopped taking my birth control pills

Patient

Q: I have stopped taking my birth control pills about a month ago. I had sex about a week ago and right after I took a pill. My period was supposed to come on Thursday but it didn't. I got scared that I could be pregnant so I took multiple pills in one day. My period still didn't come on. Do you think I can still be pregnant

Doctor

Thanks for the query,

If you have been off birth control for a month, then your chances for conception increased this month following intercourse. If you had taken the normal contraceptive pill from the birth control pack to protect from pregnancy then it's futile. Unless it was an emergency contraceptive pill, chances of pregnancy remains and as you have not received your menses this month, it is suggested that you get a serum beta hCG test done now to rule out pregnancy for sure based on hCG levels.
If the levels are raised, then you are pregnant or else if lower than 1, then you are pregnancy safe. In case of negative test, you should just wait for your menses to return and follow barrier contraception till then.
I hope I have answered your query in detail,

Wishing you good health,