I have suffered from ear infections for about 7 years

Patient

Q: I have suffered from ear infections for about 7 years now. I have tried drops but they only seem to be a temporary solution. I have noticed that for about a month now, I have 2 small lumps, one just outside each of my ears. I'm assuming they are swollen lymph nodes. My uvula is swollen and spotted and my throat is red, swollen and spotted also but I have no pain or discomforted associated with it. I saw my doctor and he tested for strep which came back negative. He gave me penicillin which did nothing for my throat issues. My ears feel better but my throat is still red, swollen and spotted and my bumps beside me ears are still there. Can you offer me any advice or opinion?

Doctor

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query.

I have read your history and understood your problems.
7 years is a long time to suffer from such a problem as ear infections. Please try to understand that the use of ear drops alone will never help you to get a cure unless a deep rooted cause is found and treated.
I would advise you the following for ear and the throat problems of swollen uvula and throat with spotting.
- You should take an opinion of an ENT surgeon for clinical evaluation, actual ENT Examination, get a reference for investigations like CT scan of the sinuses and Mastoids (ears) and get a proper prescription based treatment.
- Follow-up regularly till you get a cure.
- If required to go for surgery as your problem is very long-lasting.
- This will take care of the bumps near the ears and any other problems related to the ENT.

I hope this answer helps you to get an appropriate diagnosis and treatment.

Patient: Yes I will definitely do that when I see the ENT in June. I'm really concerned about my lymph nodes being swollen. The right side one seems more like a small pea, it is moveable and rubbery. The left side one seems a little larger and has more of a flat shape to it, still moveable but not as much. Maybe because it's going down. I'm worries about lymphoma and I don't want to go crazy until June. Do you have any opinion about my lymph nodes. Any information at all would be really appreciated. Also...do you think my throat issues are related to my ears? Or perhaps a virus of some sort?