Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have swelling at the base of my spine that

I have swelling at the base of my spine that

Patient: I have swelling at the base of my spine that i noticed last night, doesn’t hurt to touch, however my lower back has had a noticeable dull ache for the last few days. There is no change in the swelling. i’ve had no recent injury to the area, but did fracture my sacrum in march of 2014. should i be worried about this? is it urgent enough for the er/urgent care or is waiting to be seen okay?

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your question.There is no need to rush Through as per your history but certainly need to get an opi nion of an Orthopedic surgeon at the earliest to get the proper diagnosis and treatment.The probable cause can be muscle spasm or bursitis due to old fracture of the sacrum.This makes it necessary to have MRI of the region and further investigations and treatment.Hope this helps you.