I have swollen lymph nodes on both sides of neck

Patient: I have swollen lymph nodes on both sides of neck. No other symptoms. Could this be a sign of hiv infection. I do not have fever. I engaged in a sex u already act with hiv positive person three weeks ago. First noticed lymph nodes two days ago.

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI can understand your concern.The first real sign of H IV infection is a dull viral fever like symptoms including fever, weakness, coughing, and enlargement of lymph nodes. In most cases, these symptoms do not manifest before 1 month from the exposure.Since you have the enlarged lymph nodes, and considering that you had a sexual exposure with an HIV positive individual, the possibility of HIV can’t be ruled out. The lymph nodes could also be due to a subclinical viral infection and may not be related to HIV. So the best thing to do is to wait for 1 more week, and get the 4th generation test for HIV infection done. This will accurately predict whether HIV infection is there or not.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.