Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have the flu and have been running a fever for 7 days.

I have the flu and have been running a fever for 7 days.

Patient: I have the flu and have been running a fever for 7 days.. is there any point in going to see a Dr. at this point..?

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.You have flu and sunning fever for days.The fever in flu usua lly lasts for say 3 days.It is better to consult a Doctor at this point to have clinical evaluation, examination and investigations to see whether there is any other reason for fever to persist for 7 days.I hope this answers your query, please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Patient: I know that’s the right answer but I just started a new job and my health insurance isn’t effective until Feb 1st.. so I’m debating out of pocket alternatives.. will Tamiflu still be effective 7 days in..?

Doctor: I can understand the problems with new job and no insurance.
Treatment with Tamiflu should begin within 2 days of onset of symptoms, hence may not be effective.
I hope you are taking Paracetamol or such medicines that suits you for fever, round the clock.
There are usually medical centers or outpatient treatment facilities provided by the government all over, you may please try these facilities as the Doctors would be there to have clinical evaluation.