I have the Flu and I'm debating to go see a doctor


Q: Hello, I currently think I have the flu and I am debating going to see a doctor. I noticed it last Thursday night when I got an intense bout of the chills. Should I go see a doctor and I am a college student.

Symptoms:  My symptoms are a headache, which makes my hair on top my head hurt to touch, chills fatigue, joint and body aches, sore throat, this is especially bad when I wake up in the morning I can barely swallow or whenever I get dehydrated (which I try not to), Diarrhea, normally just water and one tiny piece of poop comes out, and I sweat whenever I eat something.

A:   Hello,
Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com
I understand your concern.

Your symptoms are suggestive of an upper respiratory tract infection. Most URTI patients present with a sore throat, chills, headache, fever, and myalgia.
You need to consult your Physician who can recommend appropriate antibiotics for you. A good choice will be Cap. Augmentin 625 mg twice daily ( a combination of Amoxicillin + Clavulanic Acid ), for 5-7 days depending on the severity. It is recommended you take bed rest till you recover.

You should also keep drinking adequate water to maintain your hydration.
If you have a lot of runny nose and nasal congestion you can take an antihistaminic like Levocetirizine 5 mg once daily at bedtime for 3 days will reduce the congestion.

Hope this was helpful,

Related Q&A

Q: I'm on my second cold in a month. Very plugged nose especially in bed - lots of blowing & coughing - sometimes a...

Q: My 3 year old boy has been unwell for around 7 days, flue like symptoms runny nose now has a slight cough but yesterd...

Q: Saturday evening Sept. 3rd. I came down with what I thought was some kind of flu. My daughter and grandkids had been...

Q: I have been having for about 2 weeks a sore neck, a low grade fever and the skin on my feet feel tight. Do I have ...

Q: I have had fevers, muscle aches, regular toilet stops, fatigue, loss of appetite, wheezing, consistent coughing which...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon