Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have trouble getting an erection when I have sex.

I have trouble getting an erection when I have sex.

Patient: Im 15 years old and my girlfriend and I have sex pretty regularly. I can get an erection when I’m by myself but when we’re about to have sex It’s extremely difficult to get an erection. I have no problem keeping one once I get it…It’s just getting one that troubles me. I’d like to know what causes this and how I can fix it.Sincerely,Peden

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for contacting askthedoctor.comIn your case the cause is most probably performance anxiety which is disallowing you to maintain an erection at the start. You dont seem to be suffering from any erectile dysfuction as you are able to achieve it in private and once achieved can sustain it as well. The concern is at the initiation of the sexual activity , anxiety has to be controlled.This can be achieved by involving yourself and spending more time in foreplay to arouse each another before initiating the actual act of intercourse. I am sure , such practice can remove your anxiety and you shall find yourself benefitted.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health ,regards