Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I have type 2 diabeties and my blood sugar reading is 455

I have type 2 diabeties and my blood sugar reading is 455

Patient: I have type 2 diabeties and my blood sugar reading is 455 what should i do? Can i get my levels down at home?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You need to go the ER right away and get your urine glucose and ketone levels checked. Any sugar value over 300 mmol/L can lead to Diabetic Ketoacidosis, which is a serious condition.You also need to get your HBA1c levels checked besides the sugar values. If you are on oral medicines, the dosage can be moderated as per the current HBA1c values. Insulin therapy is a good option if you have a long-term history of T2DM.So as of now, please get yourself evaluated as soon as possible.Hope this was helpful.Regards.