I have type 2 diabeties and my blood sugar reading is 455

Patient : I have type 2 diabeties and my blood sugar reading is 455 what should i do? Can i get my levels down at home?
Doctor :   Hello, Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com I understand your concern. You need to go the ER right away and get your urine glucose and ketone levels checked. Any sugar value over 300 mmol/L can lead to Diabetic Ketoacidosis, which is a serious condition. You also need to get your HBA1c levels checked besides the sugar values. If you are on oral medicines, the dosage can be moderated as per the current HBA1c values. Insulin therapy is a good option if you have a long-term history of T2DM. So as of now, please get yourself evaluated as soon as possible. Hope this was helpful. Regards.

Related Q&A

Q: I woke up 2 weeks ago with tightness in my legs and it is still there. I can hardly walk. Can this tightness in both ...

Q: My 68 year old father has been diagnosed with an unknown virus. Prior to this diagnosis, he was generally healthy, wi...

Q: Ive been so tired for months now! Out of the blie this morning I tested my fasting blood sugar level and it was 164. ...

Q: When my sugar is low I experience exaggerated movements. Why

Q: When my sugar is low I get exaggerated movements. This has happened 3 times now Why?


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon