Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I haven’t been able to obtain or keep an erection

I haven’t been able to obtain or keep an erection

Patient: I haven’t been able to obtain or keep an erection for some months now. Once erect I lose it quickly or ejaculate before we start. What could be my problem

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.It seems that you have premature ejaculation. You can try the following to help you:Us e a condom with local anesthetic that will reduce the sensation during sex and prolong the actCount backwards from 100 by subtracting 7 or some other number to ensure that you are not too excited during sex.If this does not help you, please see a Doctor to help. Wishing you the best.