I hit my leg on the inside of my knee cap earlier today.

Patient : I hit my leg on the inside of my knee cap earlier today about 4 hrs ago its swelled and is a hard bump very tender to the touch
Doctor :   Hello, Welcome to Askthedoctor.com Post traumatic knee swelling can be due to ligamentous injury. Patella fracture. Haemarthrosis knee. You need to get your knee examined by an orthopedic surgeon as clinical examination is irreplaceable. Keep your knee in straight position. Apply some ice over the knee. You will require xray knee after examination and may be MRI on a later date which can be determined only after examination. Feel free to discuss further once you get your these reports. Regards