I just began taking the birth control Gildess, will it stop the period I am currently on?

Patient

Q: I was just prescribed Gildess because I have had a long period. I was just wondering if it would stop the current period I am on. I just took the pill about an hour ago. How long will it take to stop the current period I am on?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your query.

Gildess is a birth control pill, which has both the female sex hormones called as Estradiol as well as progesterone in low quantities, how soon the period becomes regularized and the bleeding stops varies from person to person and is an individual response. Generally in about 5-7 days after start of the pill it may stop the bleeding. Contraceptive effect will start after the pill is used for seven days.

Hope that answers your query.

Have a good day.