Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I just dislocated my knee but due to the immediate

I just dislocated my knee but due to the immediate

Patient: I just dislocated my knee but due to the immediate pain I felt I fell and my leg twisted and my knee relocated itself. What should I do know?

Doctor: HelloThanks for posting your query at ATD.Most of the dislocation of knee or patella are spontaneously reduced b y the patient or by the time they reach the hospital. The important part is although the knee is reduced but there is damge to the supporting structures keeping the knee in position.Current treatment is bracing the knee and keeping the external support for 3-4weeks. Intermittent ice packs and OTC available analgesics.If there is swelling around the knee it can be either due synovial effusion (fluid in joint) or haemarthrosis (blood in joint). In this case aspiration of the fluid or blood is necessary.Reassessment of the knee for instability is to be done after 3weeks interval and depending upon the examination finding intermittent mobilisation of knee can be started.For any more doubts or second opinion, please write to us.Regards