I just got back from canoe/camping trip May have encountered

Patient

Q: I just got back from canoe/camping trip. May have encountered water in my ears. Now home, I am experiencing vertigo. How can I tell if it's inner ear or something else. I feel great otherwise.

Symptoms:  Vertigo
Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

If some water did get inside the ear and reach the inner ears, apart from the pain there will be balancing issues faced by the patient.
In fact often the first symptom of water getting inside the ears is concerns regarding balance, giddiness, ear pain, e.t.c

Since you feel fine, there is nothing to worry about here.

Feel free to discuss further,
Regards.

Patient: How long will vertigo last? I feel unbalanced like on a train.
Doctor: Vertigo episodes can last for as short as 10-15 minutes to even hours. If the vertigo has been persistent, then it could be an inner ear problem. As you mentioned you feel a little unbalanced, it is better to get your ear examined.

Regards.