I just got implanon replaced with nexplanon after 3 years

Q: I just got implanon replaced with nexplanon after 3 years this last Friday. When is it okay to have unprotective sex?

Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.

The medication usually starts working right away when the rod is inserted on days 1 through 5 after the start of your regular menstrual bleeding. If your appointment is at another time in your menstrual cycle, you may need to use a non-hormonal form of birth control (e.g., condoms, diaphragm, spermicide) for the first 7 days after the rod is placed. Ask your doctor about whether you need back-up birth control.
The failure rate of nexplanon is .05% for both perfect use and typical use because the method requires no user action after insertion.

Hope this helps.Take care.