Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I just got implanon replaced with nexplanon after 3 years

I just got implanon replaced with nexplanon after 3 years

Patient: I just got implanon replaced with nexplanon after 3 years this last Friday. When is it okay to have unprotective sex?

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.The medication usually starts working right away when the rod is i nserted on days 1 through 5 after the start of your regular menstrual bleeding. If your appointment is at another time in your menstrual cycle, you may need to use a non-hormonal form of birth control (e.g., condoms, diaphragm, spermicide) for the first 7 days after the rod is placed. Ask your doctor about whether you need back-up birth control.The failure rate of nexplanon is .05% for both perfect use and typical use because the method requires no user action after insertion.Hope this helps.Take care.