Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I just got out of the hospital for a stomach virus

I just got out of the hospital for a stomach virus

Patient: I just got out of the hospital for a stomach virus and had 4 bags of fluid, I now feel like there is an over inflated balloon in my abdomen (severely bloated) is there anything I can do to releave the pressure

Doctor: Hi.Thanks for your query and history.I do not think that this may be a stomach virus. It never gives so much dist ension.I would advise you the following in such a situation which is potentially serious matter.-Rush back to hospital.-Standing X-ray of the abdomen gives the clue for the diagnosis. It may be due to intestinal obstruction.-You may need urgent care, passage of the nasogastric tune, intravenous fluids and antibiotics and so on.- It is possible that an Emergency surgery may need to be done if the intestinal obstruction is present and no relieved by medical management.So rush back to the ER / hospital