I just got out of the hospital for a stomach virus

Q: I just got out of the hospital for a stomach virus and had 4 bags of fluid, I now feel like there is an over inflated balloon in my abdomen (severely bloated) is there anything I can do to releave the pressure

A:   Hi.
Thanks for your query and history.

I do not think that this may be a stomach virus. It never gives so much distension.

I would advise you the following in such a situation which is potentially serious matter.

-Rush back to hospital.
-Standing X-ray of the abdomen gives the clue for the diagnosis. It may be due to intestinal obstruction.
-You may need urgent care, passage of the nasogastric tune, intravenous fluids and antibiotics and so on.
- It is possible that an Emergency surgery may need to be done if the intestinal obstruction is present and no relieved by medical management.

So rush back to the ER / hospital