Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I just recently stopped my birth control about 3 weeks

I just recently stopped my birth control about 3 weeks

Patient: I just recently stopped my birth control about 3 weeks ago I took the true blue ovulation test 4 days in a row and the results came back that I was at my peak of ovulation me and my husband have had sex all the time during these days is there a good chance that I am pregnant or is my ovulation schedule messed up from stopping my birth control

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,It is to be understood that the mechanism of birth control in pre venting pregnancy lies in the fact that it prevents ovulation completely and in the absence of ovulation, there can’t be any pregnancy. Now that you have been off birth control since last 3 weeks, it is likely that you would have achieved your withdrawal bleed 2 weeks back and now you are into your mid cycle. As the true blue ovulation test kit shows a positive test, indicates that you should be ovulating in next 36 hrs, however the direct confirmation for the same can be made only with an ultrasound pelvis which can identify the follicle in the ovary today and then a repeat ultrasound 2 days later finds the follicle ruptured confirming ovulation.So, if during this fertile period now, unprotected intercourse is regularly practiced, then the chances of you conceiving are higher and more likely. The more the frequency of the same the better are the chances.I hope i have answered your query in detail,Wishing you good health,Regards