I just sex for the first time about 48 hours ago.

Patient

Q: I just sex for the first time about 48 hours ago. I bled from the tearing of the hymen. It has not bled since that night but it still sting a little when I pee. Is it safe to have sex again by now? If not how long should I wait? Or how long until it's healed?

Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion.

Tearing of hymen post first intercourse is normal to experience and one can find bleeding as well for 2-3 days in most cases. The hymen would generally take 5-7 days to heal completely through fibrosis but one can resort to sex after 72 hrs once the bleeding has stopped. There is no contraindication for the same, but one may use vaginal lubricants to moisten the introitus to decrease the repeat injury to hymen during the second time. There may be some bleeding again though but if you can manage it, sex is not contraindicated at all.

I hope I have answered your query in detail.

Wishing you safe sexual practices,