I just tested my blood pressure and it was 173/113

Patient: I just tested my blood pressure and it was 173/113. Should I go to the ER? My right ankle is super swollen.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.The normal blood pressure is ideally to be maintained at 120/70 mm Hg. Any blood pressu re that goes higher than this level is considered hypertension.However, we must take at least 3 to 4 readings at different times on different days in a week to call it hypertension.Your blood pressure seems to be on the higher said, it can present with swelling of ankles and reach up to thighs, known as pedal edema.You must see the doctor immediately and start yourself on antihypertensives. Avoid stress, anger and salt containing foods. Aim at a low salt diet and maintain optimal weight as per your BMI.A check up of the heart, eye and kidney also becomes necessary.Hope this helped.Regards