I just took a pregnancy test which came up positive.

Patient

Q: I just took a pregnancy test which came up positive. This was unexpected and unplanned. I am a recovering addict and I am currently on Methadone. I am not sure at this point how far along I am? But I am very nervous that the Methadone will affect the baby now and possibly int he future. I have also smoked, drank, partied without knowin. Any details or information you can provide me with? I have made an appointment already but I can not wait to get the answer. It is consuming my mind.

Symptoms:  Sore breasts, little sluggish/ and tired
Doctor

A:   Hi,
Thanks for the query at ATD.

I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.
As such there is no direct relationship to stop methadone at this stage.
As you are already in quitting phase of methadone, there is as such no need of termination of pregnancy or discontinued your pregnancy.
At this stage in early pregnancy, it may cause birth defects in foetus if you smoked simultaneously.
So stop alcohol and quit smoking and continue pregnancy under expert supervision.

Hope found useful.
Good luck.