Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I keep spitting and i don’t know why

I keep spitting and i don’t know why

Patient: I have been spitting, I don’t know why. Can you help me, is it normal? I get these anxiety attacks or i break down and cry because I get tired of spitting

Symptoms: I just been coughing.

Doctor: HelloThanks for using “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.You seem to be having a compulsion to spit and are n ot able to stop yourself. It could be a part of the obsessive-compulsive spectrum disorder or it may be due to impulsive disorder. Your thoughts need to be assessed by a systematic mental state examination. Use of fluoxetine 20mg may help you with this condition.Do meet your Doctor and request for a Psychiatric referral.Hope this helps,Wish you a good health.