I left a tampon inside me for 10 after having

Patient: I left a tampon inside me for 10 after having sex (forgetting that I had a tampon in) when it went up my cervix. I could smell something funky, but no pain. I have just removed it. Should I go to the ER?

Symptoms: Stinky smell, clear discharge, slight pain now the tampon is out

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Tampons have known to cause deadly infections like toxic shock syndrome. Keeping it f or ten days could have lead to bacterial growth and hence the foul smell and pain with discomfort. There are chances that you could be having a pelvic inflammatory disease, which has been caused acutely due to an ascending infection from the cervix to uterus and associated structures. Presence of pain and abnormal discharge, warrants an examination by the doctor. It is always advisable to send a cervical swab for culture and start on empirical treatment with antibiotics to prevent the spread of infection. Kindly consult a gynecologist for an examination.Maintain personal hygiene. Keep the private parts dry and use cotton undergarments. Avoid nylon clothing. Drink lots of water to prevent dehydration and associated urinary tract infection. Avoid intercourse until you see the doctor.Hope this helpsRegards

Patient: It is night time. Should I go to the ER or wait till morning to go to a gynocologist?

Patient: I am worried about TSS, though right now I don’t seem to have any symptoms

Doctor: Hello
No need to rush to.ER . As long as you are symptpm free you can buy some time