I live in an area that has lots of deer

Patient

Q: I live in an area that has lots of deer ticks. Many of my neighbors have had Lymes Disease. I pulled a tick out last night. This morning it hurts where I pulled him out and is red. Should I be taking an antibiotic?

I live in an area that has ...-1
Doctor

A:   Thank you for choosing ATD to ask your question.

It seems that you have some sort of insect or animal bite. I cannot verify what type of insect it is without an examination. If you have the insect near you, then you should preserve it and take it to the Doctor with you.

You have to see a Doctor to confirm what the insect is and the possible disease it can spread. I would say that it is better to take antibiotics to be on the safe side. But please ensure that all antibiotics are taken after seeing a Doctor.

Lymes disease needs treatment and you need to see a Doctor. Lymes is caused by a Borrelia bacteria and thus antibiotics will be effective against it.

I hope this helps you. All the best.