I may have accidentally left my tampon in for 18 hours.

Patient: I may have accidentally left my tampon in for 18 hours. I am hoping I changed it this morning and don’t remember. I took it out an hour ago and put on a pad. When I took out the tampon (a super one) it wasn’t completely saturated…it was like half saturated. I am 29 and on birth control pills. I looked up TSS and I am not experiencing any of the symptoms. What is my risk of TSS? Can I wear a tampon for the rest of my period?

Symptoms: I am not experiencing any symptoms other then a light flowing period.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query at ATD.I have gone through your history and understand your concerns.The chances of tox ic shock syndrome is not there in your case,as pad is only left for 18 hrs. And there is no other symptoms of TSS like fever ,vaginal discharge.As your flow is quite low,in my opinion you should wear a pad rather than tampoon for this period cycle.So this time use pad and from the next cycle use tampoon.Hope found useful, feel free to ask more information.Good luck.Regards