Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I miscarried two and half weeks ago. Today they checked my hcg levels came 5. I am still bleeding.

I miscarried two and half weeks ago. Today they checked my hcg levels came 5. I am still bleeding.

Patient: I miscarriaged two and half weeks ago. Today they checked my hcg levels and it came back 5 so it was a negative, however I am still bleeding clots and going through about 3 or 4 pads a day… Why am I still bleeding this bad?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Incomplete abortion is the commonest cause of bleeding after a miscarriage. Please, disc uss the issue with your treating physician. An ultrasound examination of the uterine cavity to enquire for retained products of conception is often done in these cases.I hope this helps you.