I need hsv advice

Q: I aquired hsv 1 on my genitals from my husband 7 years ago. We are now seperated and I am looking for a new partner. I would like to know how to talk to a new partner about this, such as risks, transmission likely hoods and the safest practices.

A:   Thank you for your question. We first would like to encourage you to be honest with your new partner about you having HSV 1. This is the first and best approach to opening the lines of communication about this sensitive topic. Secondly, HSV 1 can be transmitted when you have an active outbreak of lesions and unprotected sexually contact. Otherwise, the chances of spreading HSV is very low, however it is still possible. To insure added protection, you can use barrier protection during sexual intercourse at all times. Safest practice is to refrain from sexual contact when you have an active outbreak of genital herpes.

Thank you for choosing askthedoctor.com