I need some information on infertility

Patient

Q: When I was 19 years old I gave birth to my beautiful twin daughters. I started recieving depo shots as soon as I was able and continued recieving them for about 4 years. I finally decided to stop taking the shots because I felt like it wasnt healthy for me. But I am now 26 years old and I am in a healthy relationship. We have been having unprotected sex for about 5 months now and I have not gotten pregnant. For the last year or so I have kept close track of my periods and they have been normal until the last couple which I believe it due to stress. But I am concerned about the fact that I have yet to get pregnant and I am worried that I could not ever have babies again. Im unsure about making a point to bring it up to my doctor because I am still young and unmarried. I think she would tell me not to worry about it. But could it be possible that I am no longer fertile? Thank you

Symptoms:  No symptoms
Doctor

A:   The depot primarily works by preventing the ovaries from releasing an egg (ovulation) and by thickening the cervical mucus to prevent sperm from entering the uterus. This effect of the Depot-Provera injections may keep women from becoming pregnant for more than 3 months after their last shot. The average delay in return of fertility is 9-10 months from the last injection taken. The use of the depot however does not permanently impair a women's fertility.
Statistics report that with unprotected intercourse of one year, on an average 25 percent of normal couples conceive spontaneously. Which means for the rest 75% it usually takes longer than a year.
Since it has not been more than a year since you have been off the depot and you have been trying only for 5 months, you need not worry about infertility. I hope the above information is reassuring to you. It would be useful for you to read up about the fertile period of a woman's cycle and its calculation to aid you in your efforts to conceive.