I need some information on infertility

Patient

Q: When I was 19 years old I gave birth to my beautiful twin daughters. I started recieving depo shots as soon as I was able and continued recieving them for about 4 years. I finally decided to stop taking the shots because I felt like it wasnt healthy for me. But I am now 26 years old and I am in a healthy relationship. We have been having unprotected sex for about 5 months now and I have not gotten pregnant. For the last year or so I have kept close track of my periods and they have been normal until the last couple which I believe it due to stress. But I am concerned about the fact that I have yet to get pregnant and I am worried that I could not ever have babies again. Im unsure about making a point to bring it up to my doctor because I am still young and unmarried. I think she would tell me not to worry about it. But could it be possible that I am no longer fertile? Thank you

Symptoms:  No symptoms
Doctor

A:   The depot primarily works by preventing the ovaries from releasing an egg (ovulation) and by thickening the cervical mucus to prevent sperm from entering the uterus. This effect of the Depot-Provera injections may keep women from becoming pregnant for more than 3 months after their last shot. The average delay in return of fertility is 9-10 months from the last injection taken. The use of the depot however does not permanently impair a women's fertility.
Statistics report that with unprotected intercourse of one year, on an average 25 percent of normal couples conceive spontaneously. Which means for the rest 75% it usually takes longer than a year.
Since it has not been more than a year since you have been off the depot and you have been trying only for 5 months, you need not worry about infertility. I hope the above information is reassuring to you. It would be useful for you to read up about the fertile period of a woman's cycle and its calculation to aid you in your efforts to conceive.

Related Q&A

Q: My wife and I are both 44 years old. We previously did not want to have babies. However we are now thinking to have b...

Q: Is 300 total testosterone normal for a 30 year old male?

Q: As long as when I produce semen when I masturbate that means I can have kids. Correct?

Q: Would like to get a professional's advice on my blood work results. I'm mainly looking to find out if anything on her...

Q: My wife and I are trying to have a baby and are using a fertility monitor to pinpoint the best dates each month to ha...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews