Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » I noticed yesterday that my nose was leaking by that

I noticed yesterday that my nose was leaking by that

Patient: I noticed yesterday that my nose was leaking. by that night I had a rash right under my nose and a blister with 4 smaller bumps on my top lip

I noticed yesterday that my...-1

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You did not mention the type of disc harge which would have helped. The blisters seem to be an allergic reaction. If the discharge is clear watery, it is more likely to be due to allergic rhinitis. However, if the discharge is mucoid, and you have difficulty breathing, it indicates a bacterial infection.You also mentioned you took a course of Amoxicillin for 2 days. Kindly finish the course in the future as you are supposed to take the antibiotics for a minimum period of 5 days. Otherwise, these organisms end up being resistant and antibiotics do not work in the future.I will advise you to take Tab. Claritin ( Loratadine ) after consulting your physician, this will reduce the bumps. As for discharge, kindly mention the type of discharge in the follow-up as it really helps in making a diagnosis. If the discharge is mucoid, you will need an antibiotic course and I will advise Cap. Augmentin twice daily for 7-10 days. It is a combination of Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid. The recommended adult dosage is 650 mg twice daily.Also, were you recently exposed to any STD? Sometimes herpes 1 can present with such blisters and predominant upper respiratory symptoms. Hence, this history is important.Hope this was helpful,Feel free to discuss further,Regards.

Patient: The drainage has been watery like and very little mucus. I forgot to mention that I also have had slightly swollen red tonsils for more than a week. (my throat isn’t sore just feels like I can’t breathe but it’s not to the point where I been struggling for air. ) I know I have allergies from the pollen in the air.
I haven’t been exposed to a STD to my knowledge and my partner has no symptoms. it’s been 3 weeks since last sexual interactions.

Doctor: Hello,
Thank you for your follow-up.
With additional history, now the bacterial infection is confirmed. You will definitely need a full course of antibiotics. Please visit your physician who can start you on appropriate antibiotics. The antibiotic which will be helpful is either Augmentin as mentioned earlier or Cefixime. For Cefixime, the recommended dosage is 200 mg and has to be taken twice daily for a week.
Loratadine will help in reducing the blisters.
Hope this was helpful,