Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > I only have my period while I am on

I only have my period while I am on

Patient: I only have my period while I am on birth control. When I go off the pill it doesn’t come. I have never had intercourse. I am concerned that I wont be able to have children. I have a history of ovarian cysts.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Polycystic ovarian syndrome can present with multiple cysts in the ovaries and irregula r cycles. It can lead to difficulty in conception, if left untreated. There is no best treatment other than birth control pills given over a period of time of 3 to 6 months continuously until the cycles regularise, if they do not, ovarian drilling under laparoscopic guidance could be a treatment option. Also, since you are on treatment, there is good possibility of conceiving, once the pills are stopped and cycles regularise.Do not worry and continue the treatment as suggested by the doctor.All the best for a speedy conception.Hope this helped.Regards